
Today was a good day. This morning (I had gallo pinto!—I would take pictures of my host mom’s food to show you but I feel like that’s weird…), I met MaryAllison at Explanada 11 de abril (a plaza, sort of like the Pit at UNC) and from there we went to the IFSA office to pick up our schedules. I got all the classes that I put as my first choice schedule, kewl. The only problem? I can’t take the UNA (Universidad Nacional) dance class anymore, because I already have class. I asked some administrative people if they would create another class if there’s enough demand and they said yes. Saweet, fingers crossed. After going back and forth between the IFSA office and the library, a few of us went in search of a bookstore for school supplies. After that little quest I went to the gym near my house to find out how much it would cost to be a member. Perhaps I should look at the equipment before I sign up, eh? Looked. Old, dusty machines and no Elliptical. Dang. I went home for lunch, told my host mom about my morning conquests. Then she brought me to the back of the house and showed me, voila, an Elliptical-esque machine. Sweeeet sweet Sweeet, dulce!
After lunch, (frijoles molidos—the consistency of refried beans, but just the normal beans she makes, ground up, with little meat patties and rice with veggies, and CORN tortillas.) I rested for a teeny bit and then Yolanda and I went out to walk around Heredia. (I don’t have classes on Monday or Friday.) We went through the boutiques, because I hadn’t seen the prices of clothes here yet. It’s very probable that I won’t be buying clothes here, although I did see one nice shirt for about 6 bucks. Everything else is pretty similar in price to something in the
Later, we went to a bead shop. I got eight beads, enough for two pairs of earrings for about a dollar. Take that, Original Ornament. Yolanda likes making earrings, so she’s going to put them together for me. After that, we went to a convenient store/ice cream place. I didn’t get any ice cream, but I DID get a calling card, finally! People who aren’t Tico, apparently, can’t have cell phones here. So, this calling card will be my link to peeps. Then we walked back home. I am very ready and now mostly very excited for classes to start. I feel a bit like I'm starting kindergarten, or the first day of high school.
I think I am now really settling in with the house and the host family. For most of last week, Papa Humberto was off working on the electricity for a farm far away but he’s back this week (and man does he love to talk). He’s a self proclaimed Santa Claus bronceado, or tan Santa Claus. My host family is pretty awesome. Despite sharing one bathroom with four other people, I’ve got internet (lucky) and an elliptical-ish machine and of course a really nice family. Que suerte.
Reasons why I like today
- I bought a nail clipper! I can cut my nails!
- I think I may start going to kickboxing with my host sister, Yolanda. Kick boxing as in really kick boxing. It meets three times a week and I’ve always wanted to punch punching bags like a true BAMF.
- My host mom is always such a good cook. I asked her if she likes cooking. “Eh,” was basically her reply, but it has to be done, she says.
- I got some sweet beads for cheap.
- Classes start tomorrow!
- I don’t have to buy a gym membership and can Elliptical whenever I want.
Cons of today
1. Whenever I am outside, I’m always sweaty.
That is all. Adios for now.
Abrazos,
P.S. Claire—I don’t know if you’re going to survive all the cilantro.

2 comments:
erin!
im so glad we're blog buddies! I love checking in to see what we both find important enough to say!
i missed you on sunday and today tho! cual es tu numero?! lo de mio es 261-4696
adios!
ERIN! We definitely need to meet up at some point, although I am very busy during the week. It would have to be in the weekend sometime (perhaps some Sunday?) I'll send you an e-mail latah.
CUIDATE!
Post a Comment